Trainees will learn about the importance of preparation for lambing time, including discussion of pros and cons of housing for lambing, nutrition, body condition scoring and what equipment is necessary.
- Adequately prepare themselves and their flock for lambing time.
- Understand the importance of good nutritional management to a successful lambing season.
- Understand the importance of prevention of clostridial diseases using vaccination.
- Understand the normal parturition process
- Recognise the common peri-natal problems in sheep and lambs and know the appropriate treatments for each condition.
- Describe the preventative strategies for each of the common peri-natal conditions.
- Describe the common causes of ovine abortion.
- Describe the methods for investigating and reducing the incidence of abortion.