Start date: September 2016
End date: March 2017
RAFT are collaborating with AHDB on this new project which aims to collate information on the infrastructure and hygiene of water systems, looking to optimise the use of antimicrobials. This new project will see RAFT delivering key guidelines and recommendations for pig farmers on how to assess and improve their on-farm water supply to prepare for effective potential in-water medication delivery.
The specific aims are to:
- Establish the range of water quality on a cross section of pig farms in England
- Establish guidelines for drinking water quality for pigs
- Advise on the most effective ways of cleaning water (both indoors and outdoors), depending on relative contamination and setup
- Advise on what to consider when setting up water systems in new and existing buildings
- Highlight considerations when medicating through waterlines, to target antimicrobials and vaccines.
Video: Sue Rabbich, Environment & Buildings Project Manager at AHDB Pork, tells us about AHDB’s water sampling project from a farm near Glastonbury.